The non-profit organisation “UBAtc asbl” is supported by all major actors in the Belgian construction sector and the impartiality of the executive institutes functioning as a network.
The structure of the organization may be divided into:
- A management structure, comprising the General Assembly, the Board of Directors and 2 advisory commissions, i.e. the Advisory Commission and the Co-ordination Commission. The Quality Commission works under the responsibility of the Co-ordination Commission.
- An organizational structure, comprising the Management Committee, the Administrative Secretariat and a number of supporting services and the Technical Co-ordination Boards.
- An executive structure, comprising a set of co-operative Approval and/or Certification Operators.
Members of the organisation
Effective members, i.e. those that founded the non-profit organization or those that have been accepted by the General Assembly on the basis of the conditions specified in the Statutes, after the founding of the organization.
Adherent members are organizations that have limited interest in the existence, the activities and the functioning of the UBAtc asbl, or that, for one reason or another, decided not to become an effective member. Adherent members are accepted by the board of directors in accordance with criteria accepted by the General assembly.
Approval and Certification operators
There are Approval Operators and Certification Operators as well as Operators that combine these two functions.
- Approval Operators install and manage bodies according to the rules defined under the supervision of UBAtc. These are representative committees of interested parties’ experts, Specialized Groups, and internal committees of operational experts, the Executive Boards. The opinions of the Groups are generally binding on decisions concerning the approval and the content of guides and specifications.
- Certification Operators are compulsorily accredited for their work on the basis of international accreditation rules and only apply schemes whose concept has been accepted by UBAtc. Certification Operators are responsible for the implementation of Advisory Boards, Certification Boards and Certification Committees.
Operators can use subcontractors recognized by UBAtc. They are generally and preferably accredited. The Approval Operators constitute the Executive Boards, made up of experts who work independently and impartially. These experts can come from Full Members or from specialized bodies. Approval operators can call on an (ad hoc) committee of experts from the Belgian construction sector to support them in the preparation of an assessment plan when the subject of a request, or part of this one has a strong innovative character. Approval operators establish the operating rules of such a committee.
All elements concerning the request must be considered confidential.
The task within the organization, the skills, the composition, the designation of members and the way of working of the Operators and Specialized Groups are detailed in the Statutes and in the Rules of Procedure. For Specialized Groups, Terms of reference are drawn up, which may possibly be completed by the Approval Operator. The task within the organization, the skills, the composition, the designation of the members of the Executive Boards, Advisory Committees, Certification Boards and Certification Committees are described in the Organization Manual.